Psalm 91 and
By Dr. John Odom
Brother Judson is a God-fearing man and a divergent thinker. Brilliant in his own right and a serial entrepreneur, Judson
struggled with dyslexia at a time when no teachers had heard of dyslexia. Nonetheless, Brother Judson persevered, often
looking at life through an inverted lens, becoming a master electrician, owner of his own electrical company and designer of
A few times a year, I’ll get a call from Judson asking for my feedback on his most recent God-inspired breakthrough, to
reminisce about our late parents or to laugh at a joke.
This time, it was about the universal topic — the Corona virus or COVID-19. Judson was intrigued by the number 19. He said,
“John, if you reverse 19, you get 91!” And the only book of the Bible with at least 91 chapters is Psalms (later adding that
Psalms happens to be the 19th book of the Bible!).
I became emotional when I read the 91st chapter of Psalms. Today’s English Version reads as follows:
1. Whoever goes to the Lord for safety, whoever remains under the protection of the Almighty
2. Can say to Him, “You are my defender and protector. You are my God; in you I trust.”
3. He will keep you safe from all hidden dangers and from all deadly diseases.
4. He will cover you with His wings, you will be safe In His care; His faithfulness will protect and defend you.
5. You need not fear any dangers at night or sudden attacks during the day
6. Or the plagues that strike in the dark or the evils that kill in the daylight.
7. A thousand may fall dead beside you, ten thousand all around you, but you will not be harmed.
8. You will look and see how the wicked are punished.
9. You have made the Lord your defender, the Most High your protector,
10. And so no disaster will strike you, no violence will come near your home.
11. God will put His angels in charge of you to protect you wherever you go.
12. They will hold you up with their hands to keep you from hurting your feet on the stones.
13. You will trample down lions and snakes, fierce lions and poisonous snakes.
14. God says, “I will save those who love me and will protect those who know me as Lord.
15 When they call to me, I will answer them; when they are in trouble, I will be with them. I will rescue them and
16. I will reward them with long life; I will save them.”
Thanks, Brother Judson, for sharing the Good News! May God add a blessing to the reading and the hearing of His Holy Word.