From: Jeff Keebler, President and CEO, Madison Gas and Electric (MGE)
Since announcing Energy 2030, we have moved forward a number of initiatives and projects to advance our framework and our ongoing
commitment to all of you. Our efforts reflect the valuable input we have received from our customers and other stakeholders.
Under Energy 2030, MGE committed to reducing carbon emissions at least 40 percent by 2030, a target consistent with the Paris Agreement on
climate change. Beyond 2030, we are committed to reducing carbon emissions at least 80 percent by 2050. If we can go further faster by working
together with our customers, we will.
Our commitments align with the goals of the U.S. Mid-Century Strategy (MCS) for Deep Decarbonization. The MCS is the U.S. strategy for meeting
the goals of the Paris Agreement to limit global warming to two degrees Celsius. MGE's goals are consistent with the U.S. goals and the 2-
Sustainability is important to us. We know it is important to many of our customers, which is why we want to share a few updates on some of our
• Our new 66-megawatt Saratoga wind farm — our largest wind farm to date — is under construction in northeast Iowa.
• We also are purchasing a share of the Forward Energy wind farm in Wisconsin to provide cost-effective, clean energy to the communities we
• MGE is partnering with WEC Energy Group to build two large solar projects. We plan to seek regulatory approval this year.
• Our Shared Solar program in partnership with the city of Middleton came online in 2017. It is fully subscribed, and we are actively pursuing
• We also are helping large customers create customized renewable energy solutions to power their businesses through a new, innovative
Working Together Toward
The electrification of transportation is recognized nationally as a key
strategy for reducing carbon emissions. We have partnered with the city of
Madison Metro Transit in support of the city's goal to electrify 50 percent of
our community's buses by 2035. MGE has committed to providing
financial and in-kind support and expertise.
We invite our customers to engage with us and learn more about electric
vehicles (EVs) at community events where we display our all-electric
Chevy Bolt. Our EV home charging program, "Charge@Home," is a
turnkey charging option for EV drivers. MGE installs and maintains the
units, which charge EVs up to six times faster than a standard electrical
As your community energy company, we take seriously our commitment to
deepening our engagement with our customers. For example, with our
local partners, we have created platforms such as Living in Balance
(balancemadison.com) and GENRE 2030 (genre2030.com) to engage
our customers around sustainability efforts and to offer energy-saving tips
We thank our customers for partnering with us, and we look forward to
building a cleaner, smarter energy future together. We invite you to learn
more at energy2030together.com, our website dedicated to our Energy
2030 framework and its goals.